Drive-By Truckers & Opinions on Kendrick Lamar & Resistance Radio
Drive-By Truckers have tackled politics and social issues in their music for decades, but never more strongly than on their latest album, American Band. Members Mike Cooley and Patterson Hood join Jim and Greg to talk about the record and perform acoustically in front of an audience. Plus, reviews of the new record from rapper Kendrick Lamar and the Danger Mouse-produced album inspired by The Man in the High Castle.Subscribe via iTunesDownload This Episode
Eleven albums into their career, Drive-By Truckers have written perhaps their most provocative and timely album to date American Band. Tackling politics, race relations, gun violence, and rebellion the album holds a mirror up to the current feelings of division in the United States. But the album has a groove to it as well — it doesn't feel like a civics lessons. For all those reasons the album was a favorite of both Jim and Greg in 2016. Drive-By Truckers are no strangers to Sound Opinions but this time the prinipal songwriters Patterson Hood and Mike Cooley joined Jim and Greg and an audience at the Goose Island Tap Room in Chicago for an interview and an exclusive acoustic performance. Hood and Cooley talked about inspiration, resistance, and how two college roommates have been making music together for more than 30 years.
Kendrick Lamar DAMN.
Rapper Kendrick Lamar just released his latest album, DAMN. which follows his massive 2015 record To Pimp a Butterfly. Since his rise to prominence a few years ago, Lamar has become the standard to which other rappers and hip hop acts are measured. Jim finds DAMN. to be a“grower”that the listener appreciates with repeat listenings. While this record doesn‘t grab you in the same way as To Pimp a Butterfly, he loves Lamar’s latest effort. Between his enlightened lyrics and classic gangster rap sonics, Jim thinks this album is a Buy It. Greg agrees, as Kendrick shows a mastery of storytelling and flow with this record. And while the sound may be stripped down from previous albums, Kendrick is no less ambitious as he draws lines between street violence and American foreign policy. Greg says DAMN. is no less than a“masterpiece”making for a double Buy It.
Danger Mouse Resistance Radio: The Man in the High Castle Album
Danger Mouse (Bryan Burton) and Sam Cohen have produced a new concept album called Resistance Radio: The Man in the High Castle Album, which serves as a sort of companion to the Amazon Prime TV series Man in the High Castle. The TV show imagines a dystopian, alternate, early 1960s America where Japan and Germany won WWII, rather than the Allied Forces. The album features retro covers of mid-century pop standards like "Taste of Honey" and "Who's Sorry Now". Gregsays he "didn't get anything new… from these interpretations". He calls Resistance Radio a Trash It record, and thinks listeners are better off seeking out the original recordings of the songs. The recordings on this album were mastered from vinyl to get that vintage sound. Jim says that the sound was well executed. And, he notes that the songs take on additional resonance because they are "American anthems from a very different America in the setting of this show". For Jim, it's a Buy It record.
- Drive-By Truckers, Ramon Casiano, American Band, ATO, 2016
- Drive-By Truckers, Wallace, Southern Rock Opera, Soul Dump Records, 2001
- Drive-By Truckers, What It Means, American Band, ATO, 2016
- Drive-By Truckers, Surrender Under Protest (Live on Sound Opinions), American Band, ATO, 2016
- The Clash, Rock The Casbah, Combat Rock, Epic, 1982
- Tom T. Hall, Watergate Blues, Watergate Blues, Mercury, 1973
- Drive-By Truckers, Darkened Flags On The Cusp Of Dawn, American Band, ATO, 2016
- Drive-By Truckers, Guns Of Umpqua, American Band, ATO, 2016
- Etta James, Tell Mama, Tell Mama, Cadet, 1968
- Drive-By Truckers, Ever South (Live on Sound Opinions), American Band, ATO, 2016
- Drive-By Truckers, Once They Banned Imagination (Live on Sound Opinions), American Band, ATO, 2016
- The Album Leaf, False Dawn, Between Waves, Relapse, 2016
- Kendrick Lamar, HUMBLE., DAMN., Interscope, 2017
- Kendrick Lamar feat. U2, XXX., DAMN., Interscope, 2017
- Kendrick Lamar, BLOOD., DAMN., Interscope, 2017
- Sharon Van Etten, The End of The World, Resistance Radio: The Man in the High Castle Album, Sony, 2017
- Angel Olsen, Who's Sorry Now, Resistance Radio: The Man in the High Castle Album, Sony, 2017
- Sam Cohen, The House of the Rising Sun, Resistance Radio: The Man in the High Castle Album, Sony, 2017
- Kevin Morby, I Only Have Eyes For You, Resistance Radio: The Man in the High Castle Album, Sony, 2017
- Led Zeppelin, The Ocean, Houses Of The Holy, Atlantic, 1973
- Ernest Tubb, Answer the Phone, Thirty Days (To Come Back Home) (single), Decca, 1955
- Au Revoir Simone, Shadows, Still Night, Still Light, Moshi Moshi, 2009
- The Staple Singers, I'll Take You There, Be Altitude: Respect Yourself, Stax, 1972
- Chuck Berry, Johnny B. Goode, Johnny B. Goode (single), Chess, 1958 soundopinions.org Sound Opinions is a website