Results for My Way
The complete top five funeral songs, according to the Register:
- James Blunt, "Goodbye My Lover"
- Robbie Williams, "Angels"
- Jennifer Warnes and Bill Medley, "I've Had the Time of My Life"
- Bette Midler, "Wind Beneath My Wings"
- "Pie Jesu"
We asked our Sound Opinions listeners this same, morbid question. Here are some of the“swan songs”you told us about via email or message board:
- Santo and Johnny, "Sleepwalk"
- The Buzzcocks, "Everybody's Happy Nowadays"
- Curtis Mayfield, "Freddie's Dead"
- Jeff Buckley, "Corpus Christi Texas"
- R.E.M., "Try Not to Breathe"
- Jeff Buckley, "Satisfied Mind"
- Tom Waits, "Come On Up To The House"
- Peter Gabriel, "I Grieve"
- Joy Division, "In a Lonely Place"
- The Beach Boys, "God Only Knows"
- Alice Cooper, "I Love the Dead"
- Talking Heads, "This Must Be the Place (Naïve Melody)"
- Billy Bragg and Wilco, "Remember the Mountain Bed"
Jim and Greg were forced to think about their final day as well. Greg goes first (since Jim predicts he actually will). He decides he wants Sound Opinions guest John Cale's cover of "Hallelujah" to be played at his funeral. He calls it the 20th century version of "Amazing Grace". Although Cale's version strays from Leonard Cohen's original, Greg thinks the message remains intact: "I made a lot of mistakes, but it was all worthwhile."
Jim predicts that even at his funeral he won't be able to resist one last chance to be sarcastic. He chooses an irreverent version of Frank Sinatra's classic "My Way." Jim shares Hoboken roots with“Ol' Blue Eyes,”but he feels he shares a lot more with Sex Pistols member Sid Vicious. So all of you Sound Opinions listeners who plan to come out to mourn on that fateful day will get to enjoy this punk cover.Go to episode 47
Fetty Wap tops the Billboard 200 chart with the release of his self-titled debut. The album release follows the drops of his three top-ten singles, "Trap Queen," "679," and "My Way." The rapper makes a splash as the first hip-hop artist in two years to land a premiere album in the #1 spot since A$AP Rocky's Long.Live.A$AP.
The third time's the charm for The Beatles' 1 album, which you might remember from its original release in 2000 or its second remastered release in 2011. The new three-disc edition, out November 6, features promotional films and restored videos of the group. Greg wonders how many times the same album can be resold to the same audience. Despite the lack of any real change in content, Jim predicts,“It'll debut at #1.”
Thanks to a new interactive tool distributed by The Wall Street Journal, it is now possible to discover what's playing on jukeboxes across America, just by entering a zip code online. Data gathered from the jukebox vendor TouchTunes provide a look at more than 60,000 jukeboxes across the country and what music was played from September 2014 to August 2015. The map is broken up by zip code, displaying popular artists and genres in each area. Check out what tunes are gathering the most quarters here.Go to episode 515
It all comes back to music, doesn't it? Even the great mystery of Stonehenge might have a link to song. According to U.S. scientist Steven Waller, the Neolithic builders of the British stone arrangement were inspired by“auditory illusions.”He proposes that when two identical instruments, such as ancient flutes, were played at the same time, the effect was magical and otherworldly. Perhaps, similar to this?
Move over Bill, President Obama is proving to be the politician with the biggest“X Factor”(sorry Singing Senators). First he sang Al Green at the Apollo. Now he's performing with B.B. King and Mick Jagger-and according to our critics, pretty darn well. So what's next for the executive crooner? Greg votes for some Eurythmics, while Jim anticipates the post-office rendition of "My Way."Go to episode 326
- Parliament, Flash Light, Funkentelechy Vs. The Placebo Syndrome, Casablanca, 1977
- Wendy Carlos, Two-Part Invention in F, Switched-On Bach, Columbia, 1968
- Wendy Carlos, Two-Part Invention in B flat, Switched-On Bach, Columbia, 1968
- The Monkees, Daily Nightly, Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd., Rhino, 2007 (originally released 1967)
- Kraftwerk, Autobahn, Autobahn, Vertigo, 1974
- Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Tank, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Island, 1970
- Brian Eno, Julie With…, Before and After Science, Polydor, 1977
- Stevie Wonder, Living For The City, Innervisions, Tamla, 1973
- Die Doraus und Die Marinas, Fred vom Jupiter, Blumen Und Narzissen, Ata Tak, 1981
- Perrey & Kingsley, The Savers, Kaleidoscopic Vibrations, Vanguard, 1967
- Richard Hayman, The Look of Love, Genuine Electric Latin Love Machine, Command, 1969
- The Moog Cookbook, Black Hole Sun, The Moog Cookbook, Restless, 1996
- Return To Forever, Beyond The Seventh Galaxy, Where Have I Known You Before, Polydor, 1974
- Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Lucky Man, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Island, 1970
- Tubeway Army, Are ‘Friends’ Electric, Replicas, Atco, 1979
- Beastie Boys, Sabrosa, Ill Communication, Capitol, 1994
- Kinky, Minotauro, Atlas, Nettwerk, 2003
- Fred Wesley, Blow Your Head, Damn Right I Am Somebody, People, 1974
- Herbie Hancock, Chameleon, Head Hunters, Columbia/Legacy, 1997
- Stereolab, Les Yper Sound, Emperor Tomato Ketchup, Elektra, 1996
- P.R. Computer, Az Inga (The Pendulum), P.R. Computer, Start, 1983
- Kurt Cobain, And I Love Her, Montage of Heck: The Home Recordings, Universal, 2015
- Kurt Cobain, The Yodel Song, Montage of Heck: The Home Recordings, Universal, 2015
- The 27 Various, The Gormleys Will Miss Me, Hi., Susstones, 1987
- Talking Heads, Girlfriend is Better, Speaking in Tongues, Sire, 1983
- The Replacements, Answering Machine, Let It Be, Twin/Tone, 1984
- Bob Dylan, I'm a Fool to Want You, Shadows in the Night, Columbia, 2015
- Tom Jones, My Way, Greatest Songs, Curb, 1995
- Grimes, California, Art Angels, 4AD, 2015
- The Warm Ones (feat. Jeanine O'Toole), Small Spies, Sprezzatura, self-released, 2009
- Bruce Springsteen, Streets of Philadelphia, Philadelphia: Music From the Motion Picture, Epic, 1993
- Steve Miller Band, The Joker, The Joker, Capitol, 1973
- TLC, Waterfalls, CrazySexyCool, LaFace, 1994
- The Deele, Body Talk, Street Beat, SOLAR, 1983
- Alabama Shakes, Don't Wanna Fight, Sound & Color, Rough Trade, 2015
- Bobby Brown, Every Little Step, Don't Be Cruel, MCA, 1988
- The Whispers, Rock Steady, Just Gets Better with Time, SOLAR, 1987
- The Drifters, Under the Boardwalk, Under the Boardwalk / I Don't Want to Go On Without You, Atlantic, 1964
- OutKast feat. Sleepy Brown, The Way You Move, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below, LaFace/RCA, 2003
- OutKast, The Way You Move (Instrumental), The Way You Move, Arista, 2003
- Whitney Houston, I'm Your Baby Tonight, I'm Your Baby Tonight, Arista, 1990
- Meghan Trainor, All About That Bass, Title (EP), Epic, 2014
- Usher, You Make Me Wanna…, My Way, LaFace, 1997
- Rick Ross, Hustlin', Port of Miami, Def Jam, 2006
- Jay Z, Show Me What You Got, Kingdom Come, Roc-A-Fella, 2006
- Lady Gaga feat. Colby O'Donis, Just Dance, The Fame, Interscope, 2008
- Twista feat. Kanye West & Jamie Foxx, Slow Jamz, Kamikaze, Atlantic, 2004
- Rihanna, Pon De Replay, Music of the Sun, BMG Direct Marketing, Inc., 2005
- Bon Jovi, It's My Life, Crush, Polydor, 2000
- Ricki and the Flash, American Girl, Ricki and the Flash (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack), Universal, 2015
- iamamiwhoami, Chasing Kites, Blue, To whom it may concern., 2014
- Bob Dylan & The Band, Long Distance Operator, The Basement Tapes, Columbia, 1975
- The Bad Examples, You Owe Me Money, Bad Is Beautiful, Waterdog, 1990
- Sonic Youth, Teen Age Riot, Daydream Nation, Enigma, 1988
- Kelly Clarkson, A Moment Like This, American Idol: Greatest Moments, RCA, 2002
- The Rolling Stones, Sympathy for the Devil, Beggars Banquet, Decca, 1968
- Iron Maiden, The Number of the Beast, The Number of the Beast, EMI, 1982
- Chuck Berry, Down Bound Train, After School Session, Chess, 1957
- Charlie Daniels, The Devil Went Down to Georgia, Million Mile Reflections, Epic, 1979
- Laibach, Sympathy for the Devil, Sympathy for the Devil, Restless, 1988
- The Louvin Brothers, Satan Is Real, Satan Is Real, Capitol Records Nashville, 1959
- Van Halen, Runnin' With the Devil, Van Halen, Warner Bros., 1978
- Lee“Scratch”Perry & Full Experience, Disco Devil, The Best Of Lee Perry, Sanctuary, 1988
- Beth Orton, Devil Song, Central Reservation, Arista, 1999
- Diamanda Galás, Let My People Go, You Must Be Certain Of The Devil, Mute, 1988
- Cliff Richard, Devil Woman, Dressed For The Occasion, EMI, 1983 (1:02)
- Fleetwood Mac, The Green Manalishi (With The Two Prong Crown), Then Play On, Reprise, 1969
- Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels, Devil With a Blue Dress On, Breakout…!!!, New Voice, 1966
- Black Sabbath, Heaven and Hell, Heaven and Hell, Warner Bros., 1980
- Joanna Newsom, Anecdotes, Divers, Drag City, 2015
- Joanna Newsom, Sapokanikan, Divers, Drag City, 2015
- Drake, Hotline Bling, Hotline Bling (Single), Cash Money, 2015
- Meri Wilson, Telephone Man, First Take, GRT, 1977
- Fetty Wap, Again, Fetty Wap, 300 Entertainment, 2015
- Devo, Whip It, Freedom Of Choice, Warner Bros., 1980
- Wendy Carlos, What's New Pussycat, By Request, East Side Digital, 2003
- Elvis Costello & The Imposters, Button My Lip, The Delivery Man, Lost Highway, 2004
- Fetty Wap feat. Monty, My Way, Fetty Wap, 300 Entertainment, 2015
- Spinal Tap, Stonehenge, This is Spinal Tap, Universal, 1984
- Frank Sinatra, My Way, My Way, Reprise, 1969
- Dessa, The Crow, Castor, The Twin, Doomtree, 2011
- Dessa,“Hallelujah,”Unreleased, 2010
- Dessa, The Chaconne (Live on Sound Opinions), Castor, The Twin, Doomtree, 2011
- Doomtree, Flex, False Hopes, Doomtree, 2007
- P.O.S., Savion Glover, Never Better, Doomtree, 2009
- Dessa, Palace, Castor, The Twin, Doomtree, 2011
- Dessa, Kites, Castor, The Twin, Doomtree, 2011
- Dessa, Alibi (Live on Sound Opinions), Castor, The Twin, Doomtree, 2011
- Dessa, Into the Spin, Castor, The Twin, Doomtree, 2011
- Dessa, Dixon's Girl (Live on Sound Opinions), Castor, The Twin, Doomtree, 2011
- Dessa, Mineshaft (Live on Sound Opinions), Castor, The Twin, Doomtree, 2011
- Dessa, The Beekeeper, Castor, The Twin, Doomtree, 2011
- Sleigh Bells, Comeback Kid, Reign of Terror, Mom+Pop, 2012
- Sleigh Bells, End of the Line, Reign of Terror, Mom+Pop, 2012
- Helmet, Unsung, Meantime, Interscope, 1992
- The Nerves, Hanging on the Telephone, The Nerves EP, Bomp!, 1976
- Van Halen, Blood and Fire, A Different Kind of Truth, Interscope, 2012
- Van Halen, Unchained, Fair Warning, Warner Bros., 1981
- Otis Redding, Shake, The Monterey International Pop Festival, Rhino, 1997
- The Electric Flag, Wine, The Monterey International Pop Festival, Rhino, 1997